Contents of this page:
Currently Eenigenburg is the name of a small village near the small town of Warmenhuizen. In the same region, near the village of Krabbendam we find the ruins of the foundations of Nuwendoorn Castle, situated between the villages of Krabbendam and Eenigenburg. Even today it can be seen the village of Eenigenburg was built on several artificial mounds. It is Nuwendoorn Castle's location; near the village, which caused all kinds of historical contradictions. Which makes it hard to prove that a castle named Eenigenburg Castle really existed.
1. 'Burcht' or 'burg': Dutch word for a fortified place (castle, fortified house, fortified town, citadel). Also in Medieval Dutch: borch, burch. However the word 'burg' can also mean 'berg' or elevation, a artificial mound.2. A plausible explanation is that the ancient names Eimhborch, Einchborch, Enichborch have some roots in old-Norse or Fries. Ee or ei means water and nigen (ningen, ninghen) means 'nearby'. So, 'the castle (or mound) near the water' (in these times the village was situated at a large sea bay which was called 'Zijpe').
In history the name has been mentioned several times as Einihborch (1289), Enigheburch (1318) (both: lit. 35). Also Eningenburch (de Beka, lit. 19), Enichborch (1289, lit. 19).
|A fantasy scene near the coast of the Zijpe in the 13th century. In the middle the Nuwendoorn Castle. On the right some building objects of Eenigenburg.|
(Drawing: Ben Dijkhuis)
This situation could be comparable to the two castles Florens V, the Count of Holland, built near Oudorp/Alkmaar: Nieuwburg Castle and (smaller one) Middelburg Castle.
Melis Stoke, the Count's history writer mentioned in his "Rijmkroniek" ("Rhyme Chronicle") the five castles Florens V founded to consolidate his conquest of the Westfrisians: Wijdenes Castle, Medemblik Castle, Nieuwburg Castle, Middelburg Castle and Nuwendoorn Castle. However, Melis Stoke did not refer to a castle named Eenigenburg Castle! But the name of Eenigenburg was well known at the end of the 13th century, mentioned in 1289 as Enichborch (lit. 19) as one of the locations where a delegation from the bishop of Utrecht talked about the negotiation of peace with Florens V.
Chronicle writers of the 14th century described the foundation of four castles by Florens V. Johannis de Beka and "The Clerc uuten laghen landen bi der see" described Medemblik Castle, Middelburg Castle, Nieuwburg Castle and Eenigenburg Castle ("Eningenburch", "Enigeborch").Resuming, we encounter some facts and contradictions:
The chronicle of Johannes van Leiden (1692), mentioned five castles Florens built: in Wijdenes, in Medemblik, Nieuwburg Castle, Middelburg Castle and ...... Eenigenburg Castle! The 18th century historian Simon Eikelenberg from Alkmaar wrote that a castle was built near the village of Warmenhuysen on a farmstead named Nieuwendoorn, with the name Eenigenburg! He also mentioned the destruction of the castle in 1296 by the Westfrisians. Just these facts were involved in the history of Nuwendoorn Castle!
Now we can conclude:
|The school-building at the mound at the village of Eenigenburg, near the excavation site.
(Photo: Ben Dijkhuis).
What to do with the name of Eenigenburg or Enichborch?
In the present village of Eenigenburg, two mounds are located. On the northern mound a house and a former school building are situated. This mound had the attention of many amateur archeologists, till a proprietor of the house found special building-bricks in his back-yard. These bricks ('kloostermoppen') were of the same type the castles of Florens V had been built with. Professor Renaud, a Dutch castle archeologist reported these findings. The foundations which were excavated had a circle-form, which made it acceptable to suppose that these foundations belonged to a former tower.
The function of such a tower is not clear. Was it a single tower or a part of bigger builingwork?Castle experts disagree in their opinions:
The opinions are divided. Was Eenigenburg Castle a castle? Was it built by Florens V, or by his father, William II, and destroyed in 1296? This kind of questions need more investigation.
|View from the top of the mound to the surroundings of the village of Eenigenburg|
|At the foot of the mound you wil find the cafe with an appropriate name! The Dutch word 'burcht' can mean castle, fortress or stronghold.|
(Photos: Ben Dijkhuis).
(Lit. 5, J.W. Groesbeek)
(Lit. 19, P. Noordeloos)
(Lit. 34, J. de Vries)
(Lit. 35, G. van Berkel, K. Samplonius)
(Lit. 48, J.G.N. Renaud)